Monday, April 21, 2008

I've been converted...

In college, I spent some time in the Middle East for study abroad.  Do they love mangos there!  I could be wrong, but it seemed as though mango was the main staple for desserts.  I quickly developed a distaste for it.  It was mango everywhere... mango flavored ice cream, mango flavored drinks, mango flavored candy, etc.  I didn't like it.  Yuck.  Then I come home to the USA and find things like "mango salsa"?  Yuck-yuck!  So, about a week ago, I attended the bridal shower of my future sister in law.  She's Filipino.  When the ladies brought out the plate full of sliced, fresh mango, all the Filipino girls swarmed the table and started filling up on mango slices.  I, of course, kept my distance.  But one of the nice ladies brought us a plate full to share and I didn't want to be rude... and guess what?  I LOVE MANGOS!!  Have you ever had one?  They are DEEEE-LISH!!  Talk about a change of heart!  What a beautiful experience to eat raw, fresh mango!  It's like while you're enjoying the taste, you enjoy the fragrance too... but not through your nose holes.  It starts at the back of your throat and then proceeds through the nose.  All the while your taste buds are in paradise, too!  I'm having a hard time here explaining it but maybe someone else can relate?  There's just nothing like it, as far as eating any other piece of fruit!  And it seems like there's more than one taste to a mango.  Two, I think.  I have to admit though that I'm not totally converted.  I believe it just the FRESH, raw mango that I enjoy and not mango flavored things.  Which is weird, I know, cause it's the whole taste/fragrance that I've enjoyed.  And I also think having it sliced, as opposed to cubed like it is in that nasty mango salsa, that really makes the whole experience so enjoyable.  And that, my friends, is how I've become one with the mango!         

6 comments:

Marcus and Amy said...

I told you Mango's are good! You will have to slowly work up to trying Mango flavored things, some taste good, some not so much. Like Mango Kearns drink is gross, but Marc and I love Mango Kool Aid! Its a staple at our house! Now you should try Red Mango frozen yougurt with fresh strawberries and fresh mango on it! Good stuff!

Anonymous said...

now try the mango-a-go-go at JAMBA...your conversion will be complete!

Heidelweiss said...

Yes, the mango is a wonderfruit. I agree with the Jamba suggestion-it is amazing. I know what you mean about smelling but not through your nostrils. The same thing happens with Turkish Delight.

Emily said...

Luv them!! I emailed you a yummy recipe!! : )

Whitney said...

Mangoes have been one of my favorite fruits since I was a kid. I am not into mango salsa either though, but mango gelato? That's fantastic!

The Starr Family said...

I love mangoes! I grew up on my dad's homemade mango bread in Hawaii!