Sunday, June 6, 2010

Chickie visit

Maggie's kindergarten teacher, the great man that he is, allowed the kids to take home a chickie overnight for a visit. Although, I would say calling it a "chickie" now is quite a stretch. These baby chicks are well on their way to being full-on chickens. Not quite as cute as when they were first born!
I just couldn't resist Maggie's puppy dog look when she asked if we could take a chickie home. I knew it would be kinda stressful with 3 kids, but when will I ever have another opportunity to host a chicken at our house?!

Kinda cute... kinda.

Why do chickens stretch their necks with every step they take?

Grant said he wanted to keep it forever. I told him the problem is that the chick doesn't stay cute and little for long, that he would soon be a big chicken. He protested that he "likes fat chickens!"

I have to admit, I grew a tiny bit attached to him. He wasn't much to look at, but he constantly made the cutest, softest peep noises. And whenever he was left alone, his peeps got really loud, as if he was trying to remind us that he missed our company. "Hey guys! Come back and play with me!" And he didn't make a single peep from 10pm till 7am. What a good, little chicken!

On the way home from school with our chick, Maggie said, "I bet dad won't like that we took a chickie home!" I told Cory what she said, and he insisted that he was hoping we would bring one home. What a great dad! He was excited to meet our little overnight guest when he got home from work!

Gentle, Zoey!

10 comments:

Marcus and Amy said...

Wow! What a treat for the kids! I don't know that mom would have let any of us do that! What good and playful parents you guys are!

Whitney said...

What a good mommy you are. That Grant cracks me up. We booked our flights to come out this summer. We get there July 8th and will be there for awhile, so let's get together with these kids!

Mike and Shelby said...

A moment they will all remember forever! And I bet Grant will be hoping for the same adventure when he goes to kindergarten.

I enjoyed this post, Nicki! And, I love Maggie's new hair cut! SO CUTE!

Heidelweiss said...

That chicken tween is the ugliest thing I've ever seen. How funny that Maggie (and the rest) were so excited about it! I hope it didn't poop everywhere. Looks like Maggie was very responsible. Very cute (Maggie, not the chicken tween).

julianna said...

that is so awesome. i am glad that cory was a good sport. i must admit that i thought the same thing that maggie did. :0) my mom just got some chicks at Easter time and she called that "kinda cute, but not really" stage their teenager stage. how fun for your family to have a little chickie friend.

Lori B. said...

What a great opportunity. Looks like they had fun.

Lori B. said...

What a great opportunity. Looks like they had fun.

Anonymous said...

Good dad, Cory. And mom let Nicki watch the class guinea pig over Christmas vacation in kindergarten. Aren't you impressed now?
Mom

Tera said...

You are very lucky... our chickie peeped all night long! But, I have to say that ours was much much cuter than yours.

The Starr Family said...

Fun to do. They are a little ugly though in this "puberty stage" kind of like preteens and their big noses with gangly arms, legs, and feet!